Monday, May 25, 2009

Persepolis 2

-Describe the writer's voice. Is it appealing? What aspects of Marji's character do you identify with or like the most, the least? Did your reaction to the little girl affect your reading experience?
The writer's voice is one of truth and yet seems to be juvinile. Is it appealling? Well I can't answer for everyone but to me it is simply like a journal and I never liked journals. I liked Marji's somewhat because of her rebelliousness. However this is over-shadowed by her naivety and her simplemindedness. Yes it did affect my reading experience. Since I didn't like Marji that much I didn't like the book that much.

-Discuss the importance of religion in the book?
In Persepolis is lie everything. In the beginning the first important thing you notice is that the main character wants to be a prophet. It defines her for a long period of time. Also when the leaders of Iran decide to become an Islamic government it changes a lot of people. Marji's parents really don't agree with it. And because of their beliefs makes them argue a lot with other people. Also Marji's interaction with her teachers is also strange because they think she's crazy for wanting to be a prophet. The author isn't exactly making a social commentary on religion or fundamentalism in my view. I believe she is actually trying to express the importance of choice.

-In spite of everything, kids were trying to look hip, even under risk of arrest. How did they do this? What do you think you would have done had you been a child in this environment? What acts of rebellion did you do as a teen? In what ways is Satrapi just a normal kid?
First of all did you say hip. Secondly they tried to look "hip" by simply acting like normal teenagers. No normal teenager really wants to be ordered to do certain things. I would have probably done the exact same thing that she did. Wearing sneakers and other such simple things. Also I am a teenager right now so rebellion is much of what I do in school, really everywhere. She is a normal kid because she is curious, has her own ideals on how the world should work. She has a family and thinks about having a relationship. She is just normal.


No comments:

Post a Comment